Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Snickerdoodle Dandy

Ok so I have had quite a night. It started off with a little baby shower planning for my good friends Abby Cavness. She is having a girl in July!! YAY! I think we are going to have a great shower.

Onto the baking...

I decided to start when I got home at 9pm.

Stupid I know. But I have a birthday lunch at TJ tomorrow and a Lacrosse Board meeting as well. Everyone needs cuppycakes right? right

I just got a new cupcake book by the one and only-- Martha Stewart. (Below is the book)

She makes everything look good AND easy :)

I decided to make the Snickerdoodle cupcake. I wanted to see if it really tasted like the cookie.




Here is the book. AMAZING.

The cupcake batter was relatively easy- basic stuff.
I guess I am an idiot because I didn't read the icing recipe correct...I will get to that later.
Below is the picture of the Snickerdoodle Cupcake. You know you want one. Y-U-M-M-Y.
.
So now you wanna know how to make them now don't you?
OK here it it...Drum roll please...........
Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self rising) sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 tsp. for dusting
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tbsp. for dusting
4 large eggs, room temp
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins.
2. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each incorporated. Beat in vanilla. Reduce to low speed. Add flour in three batches, alternating two additions of milk,and combining after each.
3. Divide evenly among cups, filling cups 3/4 full. Bake about 20 minutes.
So I did all of the stuff above. And the cupcakes turned out beautifully. That's when I screwed up.
The frosting.
I was going to make the 7 minute frosting that goes with it. Super easy right? I got all the ingredients and was getting ready to make it. That's when I saw what I needed, the one thing I didn't have...
A candy thermometer.
Booooo
So I had to quickly switch gears quickly. So I made the Fluffy Vanilla Frosting.
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
1 pound (4 cups) confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Just sift and then whip it all together.
I did all that... I THOUGHT...haha.
It turns out that I only added one cup (or 4- 1/4 cups) confectioners sugar. I was so confused on when it wasn't the right color and tasted a lot like butter still. So I put it into the pastry bag. It was so stiff, so I transferred into a different bag.
That's when I realised what I did wrong. haha. SOOoooo I put it all back in the mixing bowl. I ended up using 3 pastry bags. Stupid, I know.
Matt had fun laughing at me the whole time, watching me freak until I figured it out. Well that's it.
I started them at 8 and didn't finish until 11. Late night but TOTALLY worth it.
They were yummy :)


Yummy Yummy.




No comments:

Post a Comment